Sunday, April 25, 2010

Wetland Wonders


Walk through the wetlands with me.  

We are surrounded by sloughs and pot-holes of many sizes.  With a borrowed camera around my neck and thunder clouds looming, I was out walking this afternoon.  I visited 5 different sloughs and caught a few of the water birds with the camera.  I had hoped for less common varieties, but it seems they have not all returned from the south.  I was surprised to find a few grebes mixed in with the common ducks.


Red-winged Blackbird, a sure sign of spring, always one of the first birds to return.


Seagulls!  'nuff said!



Seagulls again with canvas-back male and female.


Male mallard in flight.
Male Northern Shoveler.


Mallard again.


Canvasback pair and a red-necked grebe.



And another common spring sight -- boys in their Sunday best trying to launch a raft!

No comments:

Post a Comment