Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spring update

Well, yes...
these pictures were taken yesterday morning, May 2nd ...and a fine one it was too!
  You can see one of my students without a jacket in the picture.  I took  my class out for a walk.  We have been studying 'Air and Water in the Environment' for science.  What better way to learn than to go out on a spring morning and find the evidence.  We did find ice, water, and snow; however, there was not a cloud to be seen.

Lucky for us the weekend fury had passed...

leaving us with an interesting combination of snow, ice, and budding leaves on the Manitoba maple tree.

I liked the ice formations on the slough edge, evidence to water being wind-washed on the banks.  It was frozen over when we visited, and stones being skipped slid and bounced their way to a stop.


Northern Flicker (wood pecker family), 
a first real sighting for me.  
I have seen the bird around but never got close enough to identify it. I do need a camera with a better zoom!!


In my spare moments --
A patchwork quilt I am working on.
  It is almost done -- just in time for warmer weather.  I have been planning on a new quilt for a while now.  I learned how to do the binding stitch and am finishing it off by hand.  This is a quite enjoyable task; I am done one side and a corner (quite a feat, I must say).
More on it later.  This will be the first quilt I actually finish!

1 comment:

  1. The quilt is lovely from what I can see. Congrats on a first finish! The fabrics look similar to Fairy Frost, so pretty! Thanks for stopping by and becoming a follower. Happy stitching!

    Kim D.

    ReplyDelete