Our first science unit of the year is coming to an end. We started with a unit on soil in the environment. This has been a great study, for me and the students. We now have a compost bin in the trees by the school. A bit late in the year to start with, but it will be a good learning experiment anyway.
We did an art piece on the components in soil. I put the students in groups and had them come up with things we find in soil. We then gathered in front of the SMARTboard and they read their list as I typed them into the wordle generator. The great thing about the generator is that if you enter repeats, the word increases in size. We then picked the style and colour we wanted. Earth tones, of course, worked really well for this. One of the kids was quick to notice that earthworm came out in an earth-wormy kind of colour!
After making the wordle, they each drew and coloured in crayon the items on the list. We then gave the drawing a black paint wash. They turned out well.