Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another.  The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month."
-  Henry Van Dyke, Fisherman's Luck, 1899




When I saw this chunk of daffodils peeking through the soil in my flower garden I was pleasantly surprised.  How often do we get flowers in March in this part of Manitoba?  When a winter storm threatened them I decided to  transplant the bulbs.   Most years they do not survive to the blooming stage so I tried my luck by bringing them indoors.

I potted them and lugged them to school to a sunny spot on a book-shelf.  We were all pleasantly surprised to find them not only a lot taller but with buds when we came back to school the following Monday.


Most of my students have never seen a daffodil and were awing over one we saw in a book this week.  I can't wait for them to see a real one!


 'for behold, the winter is past;
     the rain is over and gone.
 The flowers appear on the earth,
    the time of singing has come,'



Song of Solomon 2:11-12


The pictures were re-sized and edited with picmonkey - a new photo editing program online.  Already a favourite of mine, if you used picnik;  picmonkey is a great alternative.


No comments:

Post a Comment